Sony NEX – First Three Lenses
If you are just getting started and want recommendations on your first three lenses, here they are. Often times a camera will come with a “kit lens” that is pretty versatile and can get you a long way. The Sony NEX-7 comes with a 18-55mm lens that produces great pictures. But there are many lenses that are better for more specialized situations.
- Sony 18-200mm – This lens is a little big but its versatility is perfect for mid-range stuff like landscapes, birthdays, sports, etc.
- Sony 10-18 F/4 – A great new lens that gives you maximum wide-angle flexibility for landscapes and architecture
- Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 Leica Lens – This is a beautiful and amazing lens. You will also need a Leica lens adapter for the Sony plus you will have to use manual focus but it’s worth it!
Nikon – First Three Lenses
Following are the first three lenses I would recommend getting if you bought a professional Nikon camera.
- Nikon 14-24 Review – A great wide-angle lens for landscapes and architecture
- Nikon 28-300 Review – Perfect walk-around lens mid-range stuff like landscapes, birthdays, sports, etc.
- Nikon 50mm Review – Ideal for cute children, family and close-up objects where you like a blurry background
All Lens Reviews
I only write reviews for lenses that I used and I recommend. Below is the full list.
- Nikon 14-24 Review – A great wide-angle lens for landscapes and architecture that I use for about 60% of my landscapes
- Nikon 16mm Fisheye Review – A fun lens that seems to work best when there is just A LOT to capture in a scene and traditional wide angle just can’t cut it.
- Nikon 28-300 Review – An incredible lens. I currently use it for most of my landscape shots, unless things get really wide. In that case, I use the 14-24 lens.
- Nikon 24-70 Review – Perfect for mid-range stuff like landscapes, birthdays, families, close-up sports, events, holiday cheer, swinger parties
- Nikon 50mm Review – Ideal for cute children, close-up objects where you like a blurry background, friends, interventions
- Nikon 70-200 Review – A great lens for things that are kinda far away, like animals or sports or that girl you are stalking
- Nikon 85mm Review – Incredible for people shots. Just. Incredible.
- Nikon 200-400 Review – A super-zoom lens, perfect for wildlife and other shots from a distance.
- Nikon 18-200 Review – A great all-around lens for wide-angle and zoom. Just getting started? This is what you need!
Want to try out a lens? See my Lens Rental review of BorrowLenses.com – Netflix for lenses!
More Reviews and recommendations
I have many other reviews and recommendations you may find helpful!
- Digital Camera Reviews – recommendations for digital cameras for any budget to skill level
- Photo Editing Software Reviews – reviews of five must-have software packages along with many others
- Photo Bag – a look at what’s in my photo bag
- My Favorite Things – I often get asked about the things I uses in my professional and personal life so I decided to compile this list of my favorite things!
- Other Reviews – various other software and hardware reviews
Any questions about the nature of these reviews? Please visit my Ethics Statement. It’s all quite simple!