My collected thoughts on Star Trek, especially the movies
I don’t know why you would care… but, if you like Star Trek too, then I know why!
- Star Trek V, somehow, has worse special effects than the first four.
- Star Trek III has some of the worst writing of any of them. I wonder if George Lucas used it as a model for Episode 1.
- Even-numbered Star Trek movies are generally better. This is, at least, until the average age of the original crew was 80+.
- There is no way a bloated captain Kirk could scale El Capitan freehanded like in Assassin’s Creed.
- Now that I know the truth, it’s easy to see the hints in the mannerisms of Sulu. Oh my.
- Picard is a great ENTJ. Did you know I spent several hours with Patrick Stewart on stage with two other theater students while he recited The Merchant of Venice? It was amazing… I’ll tell you the whole story some time.
- Uhura jumped the shark when she did that dance atop the sand dune. Those hips don’t lie.
- Scotty is too one-dimensional of a character.
- Klingons in silhouette while Birds of Prey blow up always look like an 80′s hair band on stage.
- While showing these movies to my son, I have to pause the movie for 10 minutes for a cold-war history lesson to explain why it is funny that Chekov says “Nuclear Wessels” on the streets of San Francisco.
- I need to show my son all the ST:TNGs, but I may start with season 2 or 3 when the Beard is in full force.
- Wesley Crusher did not annoy me as much as he seemed to annoy other people. He was my everyman, my Frodo, my me-aged-me on a starship and I thought he was over-achieving, Type-A, and likable. (I did!)
- Amazing that I originally watched all the TNGs without a laptop on my lap. I rarely watch anything any more without also having 15 tabs open in a browser.
- I think Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Kahn is still one of the best, and it holds up pretty well.
- I thank Star Trek for first getting me into sci fi… if you’re also into it and want something really advanced (and much more sophisticated, by a factor of 100), try Pandora’s Star, Judas Unchained, and The Void Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. Oh, and watch Firefly.
- I heard when Gene Roddenberry was alive that he refused to ever allow The Enterprise to be shown upside down. When JJ Abrams got ahold of it, he flipped that motha all ova the place. (sweet sweet JJ Abrams – thank you for saving Star Trek for all of us – we can’t wait for the next one!)
Funny TNG Videos!
That Jean-Luc Picard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf9oD_xl8mI
Bridge Buffoonery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8aEhtJ-sgg&feature=relmfu
A Fistful of Explosions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPIPOaRUFg&feature=relmfu
Uneventful Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGvYIZppmQc&feature=relmfu
Beard on Beard (almost NSFW) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck-VIA1GUCY&feature=relmfu
Daily Photo – The Glowing Louvre
Here’s another photo from the amazing PhotoWalk in Paris. This was supposed to be the end of the walk, but it ended up being the halfway point!
In post-processing this one, I made the Louvre feel a little more warm and inviting, while the outside stayed a bit more cold and foreboding. I edited this one in front of a live class in Christchuch… I hope people enjoyed that bit ! Not all of my edits were successful that day, but I think this one turned out alright.
Filed under the categories: France, Nikon D800, Paris, Travel